5 reasons you should be reading SpongeBob Comics

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=xxMSkMjnTai37Bqh%2B5ZlpA8NHLMhNay%2FpLcnHReRJ%2Bs%3D​

Now that the second movie has been released and we aren't expecting regular new episode premieres until later this year, it looks like fans are in for another long stretch of waiting. There is, however, another way to get your SpongeBob fix – in comic book form!

Here are just a few reasons you should be as excited for new issues of the comic as you are for new episodes of the show. And even if you aren't excited for new episodes of the show you should be excited for the comic anyway.

1. As well as the many talented writers who didn't/don't work on the show itself, there are often contributions by some of the most beloved ex-crew members including Derek Drymon, Jay Lender, Sam Henderson and Kaz. Kaz has since returned to the show crew but he has upcoming stories in the comic book too.
  2. The artists have an incredible amount of freedom and aren't restricted to staying on-model, which results in dozens of different takes on the characters and makes the comic a lot of fun to read. Some of the stories look almost exactly like the cartoon and others are completely bizarre.
  3. Unlike episodes of the show, the comic comes out on a regular monthly schedule, so it's a very reliable source for your SpongeBob needs.
  4. There's a whole lot of Mermaid Man. Since Ernest Borgnine sadly passed away in 2012 and there are no plans to replace him, it's unclear whether we'll ever see Mermaid Man in an episode again. Whether the writers of SpongeBob Comics are aware of this or whether they simply use Mermaid Man a lot because of the superhero/comic book connection, Mermaid Man turns up way more regularly than he ever did in the show. If you miss Mermaid Man, you'll be pleased to know that he very much lives on in the comics.
  5. SpongeBob Comics are, like, totally educational. Not just because reading is good for you brain, but because there is a regular strip by Maris Wicks that explains ocean facts in a funny and appealing way. Impress your Biology teacher with your knowledge of tardigrades, ecosystems and hydrothermal vents.

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
Yeah, I have to agree that SpongeBob comics are a lot better. I think they're really cool to read, especially for a person who doesn't read comic books that much, and that's me. I read one a while ago on another website. I'd buy one, but I like to save up my money because I'm that cheap. I'm saving my money in the bank and I have like $100 to $200 in my wallet I want to save for something really cool. But yeah, the point is, I'm a big fan of SpongeBob Comics and I definitely recommend them to any SpongeBob fan.

Cha

I love SBM
Reader since 2011 here. That comic where everyone becomes superheroes and defeats Gene Scallop was amazing. The stories feel so great because they're not forced to be in the Krusty Krab all the time. We can see the Kelp Forest, SpongeBob taking care of Mr. Krabs house, dream worlds and etc. Remember that time Plankton went into depth about the sad reality of his life and how he wanted to change? Or when MM called BB "Kyle" again? I haven't re-read the comics much, but I have read every one of them up to 40 and they're completely worth it.

iedasb

Crazy Artist
I need to find a good place to downlod the new ones...
And need to stop hate read things...
I dont really read comics cause I hate reading :P

Supmandude

Squog
I still haven't gotten any. I need to buy some soon, but I keep feeling like I should get all the back issues before the newest one. =/

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Supmandude said:
I still haven't gotten any. I need to buy some soon, but I keep feeling like I should get all the back issues before the newest one. =/
There's an extended Derek Drymon story that spans issues #32 to #36 but apart from that it doesn't matter what order you read them.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Cha said:
Reader since 2011 here. That comic where everyone becomes superheroes and defeats Gene Scallop was amazing. The stories feel so great because they're not forced to be in the Krusty Krab all the time. We can see the Kelp Forest, SpongeBob taking care of Mr. Krabs house, dream worlds and etc. Remember that time Plankton went into depth about the sad reality of his life and how he wanted to change? Or when MM called BB "Kyle" again? I haven't re-read the comics much, but I have read every one of them up to 40 and they're completely worth it.
That was "The Squishy Knight" by Jay Lender. I have never laughed so hard at a single comic.

DadMom AngryPants said:
There's an extended Derek Drymon story that spans issues #32 to #36 but apart from that it doesn't matter what order you read them.
Agreed. I started on a totally random issue in the middle of the Drymon story arc but it didn't bother me. I loved the art and the humor so much and just said "eh, I'll read those in order later."

Supmandude

Squog
DadMom AngryPants said:
I figured there wasn't a big story arc, but I'm just sort of obsessive-compulsive about collecting things in order. :P

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
BabySmitty said:
That was "The Squishy Knight" by Jay Lender. I have never laughed so hard at a single comic.
I read that one last night.

"I have to punch my MOM!"
"Too dark! Too dark!"

What I also like about "The Squishy Knight" is that it features a character that was introduced to the show after Jay Lender's time. I think it's really cool that he acknowledged that episode.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
DadMom AngryPants said:
I read that one last night.

"I have to punch my MOM!"
"Too dark! Too dark!"

What I also like about "The Squishy Knight" is that it features a character that was introduced to the show after Jay Lender's time. I think it's really cool that he acknowledged that episode.
I think so, too. However, I did have a moment of fridge horror. If a post-movie episode was acknowledged by a writer on pre-movie Spongebob, in the official comic book.... does that mean that "The Splinter" and "One Coarse Meal" are canon?

anyway, I wish Jay Lender would do more Spongebob comics. That one comic was so ::dolphin noise:: funny.

"and BUBBLE BASS!" "Interpretive dance is overrated!"

I think my absolute favorite issue of Spongebob Comics is the Halloween comic from last year. It was wonderful.

And I think my all-time favorite single Spongebob comic is either Bob Flynn's "inside Gary's shell" comic from the Halloween comic, or "The Squishy Knight" by Jay Lender, from one of the Swimtacular issues.

I also love all of Scott Roberts' comics. Especially "Stupid Cool," and the volcano one.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
BabySmitty said:
I think so, too. However, I did have a moment of fridge horror. If a post-movie episode was acknowledged by a writer on pre-movie Spongebob, in the official comic book.... does that mean that "The Splinter" and "One Coarse Meal" are canon?

anyway, I wish Jay Lender would do more Spongebob comics. That one comic was so ::dolphin noise::ing funny.

"and BUBBLE BASS!" "Interpretive dance is overrated!"
He did a super adorable comic on the back cover of issue #10 too.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
DadMom AngryPants said:
He did a super adorable comic on the back cover of issue #10 too.
Wait, who did? I only have ten or so issues total. I started at issue 30-something, I think, and have a couple random back issues.

I looked up a list of all the SB comics that Stephen Hillenburg contributed art to. I think there are three. He's done paintings for them. I love seeing his work.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
BabySmitty said:
Wait, who did? I only have ten or so issues total. I started at issue 30-something, I think, and have a couple random back issues.

I looked up a list of all the SB comics that Stephen Hillenburg contributed art to. I think there are three. He's done paintings for them. I love seeing his work.
Jay Lender.

BaconUnicornsAndSpongeBob

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=xxMSkMjnTai37Bqh%2B5ZlpA8NHLMhNay%2FpLcnHReRJ%2Bs%3D​

Now that the second movie has been released and we aren't expecting regular new episode premieres until later this year, it looks like fans are in for another long stretch of waiting. There is, however, another way to get your SpongeBob fix – in comic book form!

Here are just a few reasons you should be as excited for new issues of the comic as you are for new episodes of the show. And even if you aren't excited for new episodes of the show you should be excited for the comic anyway.

• As well as the many talented writers who didn't/don't work on the show itself, there are often contributions by some of the most beloved ex-crew members including Derek Drymon, Jay Lender, Sam Henderson and Kaz. Kaz has since returned to the show crew but he has upcoming stories in the comic book too.
  • The artists have an incredible amount of freedom and aren't restricted to staying on-model, which results in dozens of different takes on the characters and makes the comic a lot of fun to read. Some of the stories look almost exactly like the cartoon and others are completely bizarre.
  • Unlike episodes of the show, the comic comes out on a regular monthly schedule, so it's a very reliable source for your SpongeBob needs.
  • There's a whole lot of Mermaid Man. Since Ernest Borgnine sadly passed away in 2012 and there are no plans to replace him, it's unclear whether we'll ever see Mermaid Man in an episode again. Whether the writers of SpongeBob Comics are aware of this or whether they simply use Mermaid Man a lot because of the superhero/comic book connection, Mermaid Man turns up way more regularly than he ever did in the show. If you miss Mermaid Man, you'll be pleased to know that he very much lives on in the comics.
  • SpongeBob Comics are, like, totally educational. Not just because reading is good for you brain, but because there is a regular strip by Maris Wicks that explains ocean facts in a funny and appealing way. Impress your Biology teacher with your knowledge of tardigrades, ecosystems and hydrothermal vents.
It also has a bit of Spandy...just search up "Spandy moment" on Google and one of the first images you'll se is from the comics, which is a Spandy moment,.

I remember I FORGOT TO GET ISSUE 32...and I had all the other issues...and I was like "nope, not gonna read until I get all of them." But I didn't get issue 32 until January. DARN THAT WAITING NEARLY KILLED ME! :P

Also, here's another reason: they're fun! Issue #42 was an interactive issue and it was fun to do! Often times there's "choose your own path" stories, or stories where you can draw your own characters or things in! Take the comic "Broken Mirror" from issue #13, for example, it's a a story about SpongeBob going to buy a new mirror because a creepy image shows up on his, but all the other mirrors have creepy images too! You get to draw the creepy image and make your own story! It's fun!

SB comics are amazing. If you like SpongeBob, what the heck are you waiting for?

I still need issue 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29 and 31. =/

Back